Saturday 10 March 2012

The forgotten hero in Afghanistan

If the name, Mike Frastacky, does not ring a bell with you, I am not surprised.  I came across his name while reading an American newspaper recently and I could not be more ashamed of myself, my press and my country.

Mike was a carpenter who was shot to death on July 23,2006 in Afghanistan.

Mike was a carpenter who spent four years building a school in Nahrin, north of Kabul.  He raised the money for the construction himself, he built it himself and for his effort and humanitarianism, he was shot three times by terrorists who wanted to claim the $10,000 prize offered by the Taliban.

In 2012, there are over 600 children attending the school he built and the animals who killed him are looking like they will come back to power.  What a tragedy and a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment