Thursday 1 September 2011

Are citizens really being heard at City Hall?

  On June 1, 2011 I made a presentation to the Transportation Committee at City Hall concerning the Environmental Assessment for the Widening of Prince of Wales Drive project.  I was given five minutes for my presentation and then answered questions for another ten minutes.  My presentation was quite simple.  Residents along certain parts of Prince of Wales are experiencing excessive vibration, vehicular noise levels from large trucks are excessive and because the problem with traffic on Prince of Wales Drive is an east-west problem at Hunt Club Road, no amount of widening will work until that problem is addressed and fixed.  I made it clear that I was not against the project – I only wanted to make sure that the consequences of the project were understood and addressed.

I have been following this project for a number of years.  I do not make rash claims that cannot be backed up.  When I told the committee that there was excessive vibration from the current roadway that can only be made worse by increasing the traffic throughput, I was met with the statement, “According to our consultants report there is no significant vibration along the corridor.”  I have a copy of the vibration study report and the drawings show that there were no sensors placed along the corridor near my home.  The closest sensor was at Prince of Wales Drive and Crestway Drive where they detected “some” vibration.  I expressed doubt on the validity of the report’s finding and was not questioned on that expression.

At the end of the day (and some 15 or so presenters) the committee unanimously accepted the EA report with a few minor comments – none of which touched on the issue of vibration.

So what does this mean?  Did the committee decide that my concerns were not valid?  They certainly did not indicate anything to me… positive or negative.  Does acceptance of the EA saying that vibration is not an issue absolve the city for damage currently done or done in the future to homes or property due to the vibration?  What happens if the Leda Clay upon which the area of Prince of Wales Drive is built one day liquefies due to heavy rain and excessive vibration (It has happened many times in eastern Ontario including Ottawa.) causing property damage - or worse?  Will the city claim it to be an Act of God because their EA stated that there was no perceptible vibration along the corridor?

When citizens follow a project, make valid observations and take time from their day to attend meetings at City Hall and make reasoned arguments, it is the responsibility of councilors to listen, act and communicate.  If the citizen is wrong on an issue, point out the error and discuss it.  Don’t just walk on by like nothing has happened.

Did they even hear what I said at City Hall on June 1, 2011?  I honestly do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment